It turns out that I actually have a hiatal hernia. This means that my stomach protrudes up through my diaphragm and into my esophagus.
This is really good news compared to an ulcer that would not heal. It is not life threatening. The only bad news is that doctors do absolutely nothing to treat it. The only way to control the symptoms is to control your diet. This mean no more acidic foods, like citrus or tomato. Luckily, if I eat any of this, the worst that can happen is some stomach pain, so its not anything really serious. The other nice thing about this diagnoses is that I have been able to go off the huge amounts of medications that I have been on for the ulcer. That has helped me feel better already.Not to be cheesy, but I have to say I have a wonderful husband that has been supportive of me through all of this. He has dealt with a lot with me feeling so crummy, and was there for me with the pains of a scope (they are terrible and I dont wish them upon anyone). He has been helping me around the apartment and bringing me flowers when I am not feeling well. I am a lucky one for sure!
I'm glad you're feeling better and that you now know WHAT is causing the stomach pains. Not knowing can be the worst! And thank goodness for wonderful, supportive husbands. :) What would we do without them?!
ReplyDelete